What is Teleworking?
Teleworking, or telecommuting, allows employees to work and communicate with each other without traveling to a central office. Telework utilizes information technology and telecommunications to enable employees to complete tasks, meet, and collaborate with each other from remote, separate locations. Teleworking can be done with a simple phone line or a complete home office setup depending on the nature of the work and the company’s needs.
Teleworking for Employees
Telework eliminates the need for commuting. Not only does this save employees the expenses associated with driving to and from work, it saves them time and reduces traffic in the region. Employee benefits include:
- Savings on fuel, tolls, vehicle maintenance and parking
- Eliminates the need to relocate
- More free time and an improved work/life balance
- Provides an opportunity for flexible scheduling
- Reduces stress
- Increases productivity and job satisfaction
Teleworking for Employers
Teleworking can be a powerful recruiting and retainment tool for employers in a competitive job market. From cutting costs to improving employee satisfaction, there are many benefits employers can enjoy by adding teleworking capabilities. These benefits include:
- Increased employee productivity
- Increased employee satisfaction
- Improved employee recruitment and retention
- A reduction in overall absenteeism
- A reduced need for office space and parking space
- An opportunity to recruit skilled workers from outside the area
- The ability to reduce traffic and improve the community
- The flexibility to provide business continuity of operations during a regional crisis or weather emergency
For resources and more information on teleworking please visit teleworkva.org.