ATTENTION: Metro is upgrading their faregates systemwide and OmniRide will be upgrading fareboxes on the Express buses in the fall. As a result, SmarTrip cards purchased before 2012 will no longer work and must be replaced by March 1, 2022. Learn if you’ll need a new card at https://www.wmata.com/fares/smartrip/gocard-replacement.cfm.
If you’re using SmarTrip in your mobile wallet, you’re all set – just tap and go.
What is SmarTrip®?
SmarTrip is a rechargeable farecard that you can use on OmniRide buses as well as many public transportation systems throughout Northern Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia including Metrorail and Metrobus. Having one farecard makes it easy to use multiple modes of transit because there’s no need to carry many forms of payment or worry about having exact change for your fare.
A SmarTrip card costs $2. Some sales locations have cards with pre-loaded value on them, so the card would cost $2 plus the pre-loaded amount.
Where Can I Get a SmarTrip Card?
You may purchase a SmarTrip card online at SmarTrip.com or:
Woodbridge, VA 22192
Transactions processed 7am - 7pm
Northern Virginia and Washington, DC
1810 N. Moore Street
251 18th Street South, Suite 1638-B
4230 Fairfax Drive
How Do I Register My Card?
SmarTrip cards must be registered in order to receive SmartBenefits (the employer-provided commuter benefit) or to have value from a lost, stolen, or damaged card transferred to a new card. To register your card, visit SmarTrip.com. If you purchase a card online or by mail, it is already registered.
How Do I Pay My Fare?
- OmniRide Express and OmniRide Metro Express passengers may pay fares with a SmarTrip card or cash. ($1, $5, $10 or $20 bills and coins - no pennies). OmniRide Local and OmniRide Cross County Connector passengers may pay with a SmarTrip card, cash or tokens.
- Each passenger must have their own SmarTrip card.
- Tap your SmarTrip card to the SmarTrip target on top of the farebox. The appropriate fare will be deducted from your card.
- Passengers on OmniRide Express and OmniRide Metro Express buses who pay with a SmarTrip card receive discounted fares.
- Day Passes and Weekly Passes for OmniRide Local and OmniRide Cross County Connector passengers are only available on SmarTrip cards.
- Those who qualify for reduced fares on OmniRide buses must pay with cash or with a Senior (65+)/Disabled SmarTrip card issued by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority (WMATA) in order to receive the discount.
- OmniRide Local off-route surcharges may be paid with cash, token or with additional value stored on a SmarTrip card.
How Do I Pay a Reduced Fare?
To qualify for reduced fares on OmniRide buses, passengers must:
- Be age 60 years or older; or
- Have a disability; or
- Have a valid Medicare card.
OmniRide offers reduced fares all day on OmniRide Local and OmniRide Cross County Connector buses for those who meet eligibility requirements. Reduced fares are available only during non-peak hours (9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and after 7 p.m.) on OmniRide Express and OmniRide Metro Express buses.
Passengers who have a WMATA-issued Senior (65+)/Disabled SmarTrip card or Metro Reduced Fare SmarTrip ID, can simply tap the card to the SmarTrip target. The bus farebox will automatically deduct the reduced fare, if applicable.
For more information about Senior (65+)/Disabled SmarTrip cards, call (888) 762-7874. For more information about Metro Reduced Fare SmarTrip ID, call (202) 962-2845 or visit Metro’s Reduced Fare Program page.
How Do I Make a Transfer with a SmarTrip Card?
Transfers ARE AVAILABLE ONLY WHEN FARES ARE PAID WITH SMARTRIP and must be made within three hours of boarding. The electronic farebox will calculate and automatically deduct the correct fare from your SmarTrip card.
- No credit will be given when transferring between OmniRide buses and Metrorail.
- There are no free transfers between OmniRide Local buses. Passengers should consider purchasing a Day Pass or Weekly Pass when traveling on multiple OmniRide Local buses.
How Do I Add Money To My SmarTrip Card?
Riders can load value online at SmarTrip.com as needed, or can use SmarTrip's Autoload feature to have a pre-determined amount added automatically via credit or debit card.
Value also can be added at any Metrorail station, at the OmniRide Transit Center, or on any OmniRide bus (cash only). When loading value on the bus, please note that it may take up to three days for the value to appear on the SmarTrip card. To load value on the bus:
- Before you tap your card to the target, push the ADD VALUE button on the farebox.
- Touch your card to the SmarTrip target.
- Insert cash $1, $5, $10 or $20 bills or coins (no pennies) to load up to a maximum of $300 total value on the card. To prevent delays, please limit on-board loading of your card to three bills.
- Touch your card to the SmarTrip target again to upload the value.
- Touch your card once more to deduct the fare for your trip.
To check the available balance on your SmarTrip card, push the CHECK VALUE button before you tap the card to the target. Your card balance will appear on the display screen.
How Do I Buy A Pass Product?
You can buy Day Passes and Weekly Passes at the OmniRide Transit Center and on any OmniRide Local or OmniRide Cross County Connector bus. To buy a pass on the bus, be sure to have enough money on your SmarTrip card and inform the operator that you want to purchase a pass before tapping your card. To prevent delays, please do not load more than three bills to your SmarTrip card at one time.
To use your pass, simply tap your SmarTrip card to the farebox.
How Do I Buy A Reduced Fare Pass Product?
If you qualify, you can buy a Reduced Fare Day Pass or Weekly Pass using your SmarTrip card.
- If you have a WMATA-issued Senior (65+)/Disabled SmarTrip card or Metro Reduced Fare SmarTrip ID, tell the operator that you want to buy a Reduced Fare pass, show the operator your SmarTrip card and then tap it to the farebox.
- If you qualify for reduced fares on OmniRide buses but DO NOT have a WMATA-issued Senior SmarTrip card or a Metro Reduced Fare SmarTrip ID, visit the OmniRide Transit Center (M-F, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.) and bring proof of your age and/or disability and your SmarTrip card. OmniRide will place a sticker on your SmarTrip card so bus operators will know that you are eligible to pay reduced rates for passes. When boarding, tell the operator that you want to buy a pass, show the operator your SmarTrip card with the sticker, and then tap it to the farebox.
What if I Have a Problem With My SmarTrip Card?
If you have trouble using your SmarTrip card on the bus, you will have to pay for your trip with cash. If you have questions or problems using your SmarTrip card, contact Metro at (888) 762-7874 or visit SmarTrip.com.
Where Can I Use a SmarTrip Card?
Along with OmniRide, these regional carriers also accept SmarTrip:
- ART – Arlington County
- CUE – Fairfax City
- DASH – Alexandria
- DC Circulator
- Fairfax Connector
- Loudoun County Transit
- Metrorail and Metrobus
- Ride On – Montgomery County
What is SmartBenefits?
SmartBenefits® is a tax-free or pre-tax benefit of up to $265 per month that private employers and federal agencies can provide to their employees to defray the cost of commuting. Using a convenient web-based program, employers simply assign the dollar value of an employee's monthly SmartBenefit directly to the employee's SmarTrip card for use on mass transit and in participating vanpools. The SmartBenefits program is administered through the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA or Metro). For more information visit Metro's SmartBenefits page or call Metro at (202) 962-1326.